Tuesday 4 August 2009

Finally got the Elan back







Finally got the Elan back and it does look good :-) It has had a few upgrades as you can see in the photo it has new wheels, roll hoops and a new registration.





Under the covers it has new front brakes with 4 pot Wilwoods, new rear disks, hubs and bearings and a new brake master cylinder. So it now stops really really well!!! Also took the doors to bits and replaced the external seals on the top of the doors, new triangular corner pieces and new carpet on the doors.







However, a group of us were helping a friend with a charity day for Help for Heroes down at Bovington Tank training facility. The elan disgraced itself - when after lunch and the first lap of the afternoon it dropped all it's PAS fluid in the carpark! So no more laps............ A friend had a big jack and took off the PAS pump belt so I could drive it home. When I got it home I noticed that one of the new rear shocks was leaking! I got a replacement from Avo (free of charge) and fitted it myself. The shaft in the leaking one had "corrosion" and marks on it - which caused it to puncture it's seals. Then I noticed I had an oil leak at the front and upon investigation it turns out to be slightly weeping Dowty seals on the oil cooler..............................I am waiting for new ones which I will fit when they arrive.
I am afraid the Dowty seals did not cure the problem and a new oil cooler was required, had to drive down to Castle Coombe to pick one up. Now fitted and running well - fitted a replacement drop link I got off the LEC forum, I have kept the old one to send to Steve at SJSportscars.

No comments: