Friday 5 August 2011

Ring Trip with James in the 968CS

A good friend, James, called me a few weeks ago and asked did I want to travel with him to Spa and the Ring in his 968CS - of course I had to think about it for all of a millisecond :-)

So on the Saturday morning my alarm went off at 3.06am...........................my god thats early.

On the road before 4am and got to his house for 5am.........

so we caught the 7.20am train and were in Spa for midday - sharing the driving.

The 968 has adjustable suspension on the shocks and the rebound - so it was on "soft" setting for the trip over.

A friend of James was racing at the Spa classic in his race 944 - and we were stopping to watch - and be pit crew if needed. Unfortunately it pissed down with rain and his race was eventually stopped and cancelled after 6/7 offs.....very frustrating .

We carried onto the Ring and the rain dried out but we arrived too late for any laps. We both had an early night as we were going to get up for some early laps in the morning. Met up with Max in his GT3 and had some good laps on a virtually dry track. Max then headed off back to UK. Discovered he only
lives a few miles down the road from me!

The track was closed for incidents quite a few times but we got about 6/7 laps in total.

There was a classic car show near the TierGarten and I took some pictures. A lovely BMW3.0CS
which had been converted to a convertible - it was very well done. An original Lancia Stratos but I managed to loose the picture of that and a fabulous Merc Gullwing.




Here is a picture of me at the highest point of the Ring - Hoe Acht.

Went down the Pistenklaus for a steak on a stone on the Sunday and it was mobbed - some prat then put black pepper on their stone.....

The next day the 968 owner said I could do some laps with the car and Jochen did me a deal on a Ring card with three laps - great when a plan comes together :-) So I got three dry laps without incident - well!!!! almost..............

I came out of Karrousell and a car going round the outside clearly didn't see me and I had to go wide
and onto the grass not good when you are in someone elses car. no harm done though


No comments: