Wednesday 20 December 2006

Fame in the land of the ether

On one of my trips to the Ring back in the summer I was interviewed by a video crew working for BMW USA. They wanted to get info on the Ring and why people come there and what do they get out of it!

They did about 20/30 minutes of an interview and we talked about the ring my cars and my passion spilled over. I was on two months gardening leave from one job before I started my new one so I was in a daft T shirt with "Dolce & Banana" on it with a large banana. I hadn't shaved for about two weeks and as I had been on and off the Ring all morning wearing my helmet - I had what my daughter calls helmet hair :-) Needless to say I was looking my best.....

Yesterday I received some emails from buddies saying the video has been posted on the BMW USA website, but it is 270Mb - Wow. I downloaded it straight away and was "gobsmacked" by how much of the interview that they had used in the video.

Today in the post I got a copy of the video on a dvd from Karen Jacobs of GSD&M www.gsdm.com the Executive Producer of the video. I have to say Karen I think you and your team have produced an excellent video which is virtually accurate in all it portrays of the Ring.

If you would like to view the video it can be got on the following link

http://www.nurburgring.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3655

but remember it is 270Mb.......so be patient when downloading :-)

I was in my Lotus Excel on that trip which Karen and her team did video but as the video was for BMW it did not appear :-( so here is a picture of it coming through Brunchen one of the fast sweeping corners of the ring. This is the biggest spectator area on the Ring and crowds gather here during the day and this is where a lot of the mistakes are made. I made one here for the first time in over five years - I came in toooooo fast and drifted over the rumble strip onto the grass got very very close to the armco but kept it under control and got back on the black stuff - a buttock clenching moment :-O
I've had my 5 minutes of fame with the BMW video so I need to get back to the Ring next year to practise what I preach - when you are driving the ring it feels like all your nerves are jangling and buzzing - you feel 100% alive. There really is no substitute and as I said in the video and I really meant it. The Ring is unique there is no other place like it in the World. But and it is a big but you need to treat it with the utmost respect or it will bite you like it did to one of the guys in the video and he got off lightly !!!!

No comments: