Monday 4 December 2006

Snetterton

Snetterton

A fellow Lotus Club member offered his place at a track day on a sunday at Snetterton for a big discount - was I interested? do bears relieve themselves in wooded areas?

I was off like a shot in the M3 - 2 and half hours drive up to the track at 6am sunday morning :-( not so good that bit). The Weather looked good and the forecast was good but because of all the rain the track was waterlogged.

The event was organised by BAT http://bookatrack.com/-pX?3142 and you can see some pics of the car on this link.

The rain came and went for most of the day so the track remained slippy and greasy all day, which meant very careful and controlled driving was the order of the day. Some people never got the hang of this and one Cosworth with a big turbo came up behind me on the pit straight so I pulled over and let him by in the proper trackday manner - indicate right, move off the racing line, lift off the throttle, when the car has passed move back on line and back on throttle. Well he got round the corner but then "nailed" his throttle and pirouetted off onto the grass......

Later on I was behind him on his tail for every corner for a couple of laps....if this is the case and the car behind you has less power then the car/driver combo behind you is the quicker car on the track. The correct procedure is to do as I did in the last paragraph, unfortunately the driver of the Cossie was having none of it and on every straight bit he floored his throttle and pulled away and every corner I caught up with him! :-( Bored with this silly game I peeled off into the pits and had a coffee and then went out when he was not on track.

Thoroughly enjoyed the day and made my way home.

Sadly the journey home was 5 and half hours in the dark and rain and not very pleasant. In addition to this when I stopped at South Mimms on the M25 for a coffee and danish a Volvo coupe when parking scrapped the rear bumper and wing - while I was sitting in it :-( he has admitted liability and I am getting quotes for the repair which I will email to him..........

Paul (the Volvo Coupe driver) has decided to put it through his insurers......so hopefully we will get it sorted before too long :-( It is looking like a £500 repair for some small scrapes a bit of broken bumper - the bulk of the cost is labour.

Paul has changed his mind about putting it through his Insurers and has transferred the money to my account - what a nice man he is :-) Now all I need to do is book it in to get it fixed! On the last Nurburgring trip I scraped the front splitter on the trailer so I will probably get that repainted at the same time....

No comments: